Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Region D Division 2 Boys Tournament

  1. #1
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post Region D Division 2 Boys Tournament

    Alright, I've been pondering this for the last couple days as we turn down the home stretch of the regular season and it's got me shaking my head. Somebody help me out here if I'm wrong but here is how I understand it.
    Regular Season Points (per beamer_ball via cumberland thread)
    1st: 16 pts
    2nd: 12 pts
    3rd: 9 pts
    4th and below: 8 pts

    District Tournament Points:
    1st: 12 pts
    2nd: 11 pts
    3rd: 10 pts
    4th: 6 pts
    5th and below: 3 pts


    Going by that, we can throw out the Black Diamond from challenging for a top spot. To me, 5 teams can still get the number one seed, Coeburn, Casltewood, Gate City, Lebanon, and Powell Valley. It's also safe to say that at this point the CMD has the inside track to the top spot with out of district wins over the other teams competing for that last spot. Currently, GC controls their own destiny for the overall number one seed, Lebanon can get get back in the picture and make things a nightmare if they beat GC at Lebanon in a couple weeks. This would involve (and I could be wrong here, going by what the LPD does) a playoff where GC/Lebanon would split first and second place points, thus each school would be awarded 14 points. Meanwhile, Coeburn/Castlewood and PV/Appy could end up in the same scenario. The bottom line is that the team that can somehow snag 16 points will be in the drivers seat going towards district tournament play.

    Now to where I'm going with all of this, you will be better off getting the number two seed as opposed to the number one seed if my interpretations are correct. You can mix it up anyway you want but 1-3 will be the best CMD, best LPD, and best Cumberland thus leaving the number 4 team as? CMD number 2, it's imo that Lebanon and GC are the two teams to beat and they could actually get penalized for playing in the same district. For arguments sake lets say GC wins out and so does Lebanon minus the GC game (s) (for district tournament). We'll also say that Coeburn wins the Cumberland while PV wins the LPD. This would leave the top 5 as:
    1: GC
    2: PV (PV over Coeburn due to PV's win over Coeburn in Coal Classic)
    3: Coeburn
    4: Lebanon (Lebanon over Castlewood due to Lebanon's win over Castlewood)
    5: Castlewood

    Obviously, I've put a ton of if's and's or but's in there but this is really not that far fetched. A hairier situation would involve a split of the Clinch Mountain with a combo of PV/Coeburn/Castlewood winning the regular season outright while finishing second in their district tournament you could see GC/Lebanon in a 4-5 game depending on the tiebreakers at that point. I have no clue what the powers at be would do with seeding there. After confusing myself, and I'm sure everyone else that has read this I think the odds say you want to be the number 2, 3, or 6th seed. Just say no to 1, 4, 5, 7, or 8
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Sportsman*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Region D Division 2 Boys Tournament

    I'm not so sure I'd be plugging anybody in to the #1 or #2 slots in the LPD right now. Things can change in a hurry.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Region D Division 2 Boys Tournament

    I'd be shocked if PV/Appy didn't finish 1/2 in some order in the regular season. JJK has shot themselves in the foot, Kelly has to run the table and pray to crack top two. JJK has been dissapointing so far, laid an egg against PV at home and couldn't throw it in the ocean down the stretch against Appy. That game against Appy had to be a dagger to Kelly's hopes of winning the regular season. Appy tried to put a bow on the game and gift wrap it for the Tribe by going ice cold from the field and getting a technical foul. To be honest, it's fooled me after watching the early season I would've thought Kelly would've contended for the regular season but at this point the boys race is two teams. Obviously, PV could go lose to another bottom feeder and Appy could do the same but the only way JJK/JIB can get into the top two is have help, they can't do it on their own.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Sportsman*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Region D Division 2 Boys Tournament

    I didn't necessarily say Kelly would finish at 1 or 2 either, but they are only one game back. I haven't even checked the standings, so maybe Kelly at 3-2 is the only one close enough to overtake Appy or PV. I was thinking more about any of the 6 teams being able to beat any of the others. There is not an automatic win on anybody's schedule.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Region D Division 2 Boys Tournament

    Agreed, there is no automatic win. Kelly is the only team imo that could crack the top two, JIB's hope to do so took a beating Friday when there comeback effort against PV came up short. It's:
    PV 4-1
    Appy 4-1
    Kelly 3-2
    Burton 2-3
    Pound 1-4
    CW 1-4

    I can't see Appy or PV losing more than 2 of the last 5 and thats what would have to happen for JIB to get in there, and even then they are tied. All of this is assuming JIB runs the table, which I don't see happening either. JJK has dug themsevles a hole, obviously not as big as JIB but a hole. They'll need a win at PV (PV's senior night) to get back in the mix imo. They will then need the Vikings to go to Appy and win while knocking off Appy themselves and then try to sweep rival JIB by getting a second victory over the Raiders. I just think to much has to happen for another team to get up there, I have to think Appy will return to full strength soon as well which will only make matters worse for the rest of the league. Can you refresh my memory on how the LPD Tournament is done now that we have consolation games? Do the top two teams get byes?
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Sportsman*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Region D Division 2 Boys Tournament

    #1 gets a bye and plays the winner of #4 vs. #5.
    #2 gets a bye and plays the winner of #3 vs. #6.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 7teen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2009
    Posts
    458
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Region D Division 2 Boys Tournament

    You also have to factor in the tournaments. If a team wins the regular season and loses in the 2nd round of the tourny, they won't get those points to earn a higher seed. PV or Appy could both win the regular season and lose their first tourny game.

    As of now, I'd hate to be the #1 seed and have to possibly play Norton in the 2nd round.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bballgal42's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2008
    Posts
    70
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Region D Division 2 Boys Tournament

    PVFan - Kudos to you for working this up. I would not have the patience to sit down and figure it out.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Region D Division 2 Boys Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by 7teen View Post
    You also have to factor in the tournaments. If a team wins the regular season and loses in the 2nd round of the tourny, they won't get those points to earn a higher seed. PV or Appy could both win the regular season and lose their first tourny game.

    As of now, I'd hate to be the #1 seed and have to possibly play Norton in the 2nd round.
    I'd gladly take the number one seed in the tournament and the first round bye. A second round loss while winning the consolation game still gets you 26 total points, two more than second in the regular season and winning the tournament. I'd take my chances with that.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member imported_Guest's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Region D Division 2 Boys Tournament

    I look for Coeburn to win the Cumberland regular season and tournament, so I'm guessing they will be the 1 or 2 in the regional tourny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •